Monday, March 23, 2020

What to Talk to Your Children about Through Covid-19


I can remember some awkward moments explaining reproduction to my son. He was looking for me to give him direction. I did the best I could, using the least amount of details, yet giving the basic outline. I think that the age-old adage "answer to their satisfaction" could be in play.  It is important to speak regularly with your children about what is going on in the world and how it affects them. Covid -19 provides unique challenges to talk to your children regularly. Here are three points to remember.

1. We serve a sovereign God. Sovereignty simply means that God is in control. We believe that the Bible teaches that God is in control all the time. This has a calming, assuring and focusing effect on people. Proverbs 15:3 tells us that "the eyes of the Lord are in every place," and that "whatever the Lord pleases, He does, in heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps.

I would suggest turning to passages like Colossians 1:16-17 which states, "He is before all things and in Him all things hold together." and Romans 8:28 "we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God." These are verses of assurance concerning who is in control over this world.

2. We are not to be afraid. Explaining to your children some of the life-altering events that you have been afraid of may prove to be comforting. I have been through several things that have had devastating effects on my journey. Take the time to sit down and talk through fear. Where does it come from and how do you grow in faith when fear overcomes you?

Use verses such as Psalms 56:3 which states, "when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you". I find Philippians 4:6-7 to be particularly helpful. It tells us to "be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."

Remember that fear does not come from God but rather from the evil one. II Timothy 1:7 states, "for God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline."

3. We are to make the most of every opportunity to use our time for God. Ephesians 5:15-17 helps us know how to live in days like these. Paul says, "therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time because the days are evil." You can encourage your children to make the most of this opportunity through spending time with God and family.

There are countless ideas on how to grow closer to God. I would start by engaging in family devotions. This can be a time where you grow closer to God and one another.

I recently spoke on the topic. You can see it online at www.columbusroad.org to hear more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Deer, Two Geese, Two Hens and a Tom

I have a spot. Many of us have that spot where we can count on seeing wildlife that could translate into a harvest. My particular spot in we...