Saturday, July 17, 2021

Fathers - Learn, Grow, Change

Our family usually celebrates Fathers Day altogether. We gather at one of the sibling's houses and have a carry-in meal. This year Jenny, my younger sister invited us to her home.  As I walked in, I immediately noticed my dad. He was wearing shorts (the usual) and a "Celtic Green" pair of Converse low-top tennis shoes. For many people, seeing a seventy-eight-year-old wearing bright green tennis shoes would be strange and shocking. For me, it is something that I have grown to expect and appreciate greatly.


My dad has taught me many things throughout my life. I would not have the work ethic nor the drive to learn, grow and change without his influence. He has been a never-ending inspiration to me. I have watched him through the seasons of his life. I have learned so much. This blog is an attempt to capture three areas of life that will help you no matter what season you are in as a father. 


My mom passed away a few years ago. At that time, we decided to have my dad come live with us to assist him through a knee replacement. I observed my dad change right before my eyes. God was doing a work in him that I would like to share. My dad has always been a learner. From my earliest memories, he was reading, designing, building, and using new applications. I am sure you have heard the phrase, "jack of all trades, master of none." If you looked this up in the encyclopedia, you might find my dad's photo there. As a father, one of the best gifts you can give your children is a desire to learn. His never-ending thrust for knowledge is refreshing. Most people lose that desire before they hit fifty.


The second area that I have learned from my dad is the importance of growing as a person. This is much different than being a learner. Growth goes to the core of who we are. Most people I know recognize that they have weaknesses. Over time they become comfortable with those voids and never try to achieve growth in their negative characteristics and traits. Watching my dad grow is amazing. 

Growth is the process of becoming someone different. I think people who grow have to be willing to take risks. People are creatures of habit and uncomfortable to change. New ways of thinking and behaving do not happen naturally. Growth happens when people seek, experience, and know God. It has been inspiring to see God work in my dad's heart and to see him grow as a result of that. For every dad reading this blog, embrace your relationship with God, and watch growth take place.


The is one last area I want to talk about, change. Change requires humility. Change means work. Change means uncertainty. I have watched my dad change. There is no way that I would have seen my dad in green tennis shoes ten years ago. His early years as a believer were spent in a very conservative legalistic environment. He has surrendered to God changing him and not the opinions of men. Change occurs when we begin to understand that God knows what He is doing and when we grasp onto who He is shaping us to be. 

Fathers, remember that one of the greatest gifts you can give your children is being a man who learns, grows, and changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Deer, Two Geese, Two Hens and a Tom

I have a spot. Many of us have that spot where we can count on seeing wildlife that could translate into a harvest. My particular spot in we...