Friday, June 8, 2018

Go with What is Working!

I do not get the opportunity to fish much but when I do I have no problem chasing after what works.
Mike Roux and I had the rare opportunity to get out to a local farm lake on the first weekend of June.
He was in town to guide for a veteran's fishing weekend. His favorite fishing buddies (his grandchildren) were not able to fish so he went with plan D - Bob. I am grateful that I was plan D because it turned out to be the largest catch in number and size of my career.


We arrived at the lake around 5:30 on a beautiful Saturday evening, with the plans to fish til dark. It was the first time we had fished this lake in about two years. It had produced some monster bass in the past but some of the characteristics of the lake had changed over time. We were excited to see how the evening was going to turn out.



Mike began by using a staple for us the Strike King  Shim-e-stick. The color the bass prefer is Sweet Tater Pie. He immediately began to catch two and three pound bass with his prefered lure. I started out with a deep running white shad crankbait. I began catching fish but not bass. I was catching Blue Gill and Crappie.

He consistently caught fish for the first forty five minutes with his Sweet Tater Pie. Mike had caught eighteen bass while I had only caught eight. As we moved into a shaded cove to the southside of the pond, I decided to join Mike with what was working. I left the crank bait and put on my Sweet Tater Pie. The first case proved to be effective as I caught a nice two pound bass.



Over the next hour we caught twenty five nice bass. It was a ton of fun. We set a goal of catching fifty fish total. The picture below is number fifty. We were blessed to have great success and a great time. I have learned that if what I am doing is not working the best, change it up and go with what is working for someone else. This can be applied to so many areas of our lives. Changing up what you know to the unknown can be healthy, productive and effective. Who knows... you may be only one cast away from a big five pounder!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Look Ahead

  2023 has been a year for me to step back and seek a little direction for the journey ahead. A lot of things have happened over the last tw...