Friday, January 5, 2024

How to Look Ahead

 2023 has been a year for me to step back and seek a little direction for the journey ahead. A lot of things have happened over the last twelve months for me to take a pause to look around a bit. I am fifty-eight years old and have been doing some of the same things in the same spot for many years. 


Birthplace Home 

Back in May, Lisa and I spent a day traveling back to my birthplace. I showed her where I went to elementary school, drove around telling stories about my childhood, and visited my first house. The house looked a lot smaller than I remembered. That day was a time to reflect not only where I was raised but how I was raised. Going back to my roots helps put a perspective on where I am and what the future might hold. 

I was raised in a home where there was much love and nurture. My parents encouraged me to pursue my goals and dreams. They made it possible for me to get where I am today. My interests, passions, and hobbies were all birthed at a very early age. It is important to remember where you came from to be fully present where you are.

First House Purchase

Lisa and I were able to travel to Ohio in June for a family reunion. It was a time to catch up with family members that we have not been able to connect with regularly. As a part of the trip, we took time to visit some spots that reminded us about the steps in the journey, the first coaching assignment, the first pastorate, the first home purchase, and all the memories that go along with it. For the most part, it was good to look back. Some of my memories reminded me of failure, frustration, and loss. It can be difficult to look back, especially when there are things that you want to forget. 

Looking back not only reminds us where we have come from but also is a reminder not to make the same mistakes again. Boy, there were decisions and actions that I would love to have a do-over on but we all know that is not how life works. It is important to look back so that if there are mistakes made in the past, we will not make the same decisions again. 


The Present Crib

Living in the moment is probably the hardest thing for people to remember to do. Being fully present is very difficult. It is a tricky balance to know where you came from, be fully present, and know where you are going. One of the keys to success is to regularly review. 

This takes place when you create a series of goals. I like to make a list of the three most important things that I must do each day. I usually make that list before I go to sleep each night.  Knowing what you are doing tomorrow in terms of priority is critical. I also set annual goals I set is yearly goals. I have been doing this for the last twenty-three years. The old saying comes into play, if you aim for nothing, you will hit it every time. I usually break my goals into four major categories; personal, family, ministry, and interests. Under each category, I write down specific, measurable goals to work toward over the entire year. This helps me to be fully present with the opportunities and responsibilities entrusted to me. 

The last set of goals is a one to three-year plan. Looking ahead is not an easy thing but it can provide clarity and direction. I have a saying that I use often, (not sure where I got it from) "Everything you need to see is right in front of you." Ask yourself, what do I think will happen over the next few years? I am talking about major events like; births, college, marriage, home purchases, downsizing, retirement, etc. You can be certain that the future will be different than the present. Gathering all the information around you as you look into the future is important. This will provide enough information to make intelligent goals and objectives moving forward. 

For Lisa and I, we are only nine years away from retirement.  She can retire as an educator next year and we do not own a home. Information like this points us in a direction. It isn't all we need to know but one cannot turn a blind eye to the future. For you, it may be that your children have entered high school or you are anticipating starting a family. Just look ahead and see the obvious. Many people are so into the day-to-day that they forget about looking forward. 

As we enter a new year, it is good to set new goals, pursue dreams, and prioritize your life. I have found the best way to look forward is to look at where you came from and realize where you are. 


What Might Be

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Deer, Two Geese, Two Hens and a Tom

I have a spot. Many of us have that spot where we can count on seeing wildlife that could translate into a harvest. My particular spot in we...